skip to main | skip to sidebar

A Gentle Nudge

Helping religious minds move toward independent thoughts.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Full-page Ad by Wayne Besen in Salt Lake Tribune


Full-page ad in Salt Lake Tribune by Wayne Besen.


Self-explanatory.
Posted by Lester Leavitt at 1:42 PM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: ad, newspaper, Salt Lake Tribune, Truth Wins Out, TWO, Wayne Besen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

The "Shelf" Metaphor

When I was in the process of leaving the Mormon Church I heard Emily Pearson speak at a conference in Portland, OR. She referenced a "shelf" in the back of her mind where her church leaders had told her to store all of the unanswered questions that would be answered in the "next life".

For those whose lives are slightly more challenging (in my case...being gay and Mormon), this shelf loads up fairly quickly until it collapses under the weight.

This blog is intended to be a gentle nudge that will not only help the shelf collapse, but provide you with the tools that you will need in order to make a meaningful transition to a life as a humanist.

Your first step as a humanist is to understand that life becomes much more meaningful when you embrace the fact that if this is all there is, then it is that much more important that you live your best life now, starting today! As a humanist, there is a greater sense of urgency to find your purpose and start working toward it!

By documenting my conversion from "Christianist" (an extremist Christian) to humanist, I hope to help you navigate through what your church brothers and sisters will see as your "loss of faith". Done correctly, you will avoid the pitfalls of "eat, drink and be merry" and instead work toward a life that will be as "purpose driven" as your former life of "self-denial-for-a-reward-in-Heaven" was.

The Overloaded Shelf

The Overloaded Shelf
How much more can your shelf hold?

Index of Lester's Blog Links

  • * Quality of Life (non-traditional families)
  • * Quality of Life (mental health parity for the poor)
  • * Fighting Poverty ('This Hurts My Soul')
  • * End Oppresion and Racism ("White Like Me, Too")
  • * End Religious-Based Bigotry (broad theme)
  • * Defending Women's Rights (exposing male bigotry)
  • * Ending War and Hate

About the Blog Authors

My photo
Lester Leavitt
I had lived for 44 years before celebrating mid-life by finally pursuing my passion for writing. I finished my first novel, but ended up forcing the ending. I set it aside and started a second novel, allowing the characters to evolve on their own. It became very autobiographical, and by the third chapter I realized what I was doing. I was writing about the life I should have lived, and before the book was finished I had written myself out of the closet. Today, I am a contemporary essayist. In the words of Phillip Lopate, an essay "...tracks a person's thoughts as he or she tries to work out some mental knot. ... An essay is a search to find out what one thinks about something. ... An essayist wears proudly the confusion of an independent soul trying to grope in isolation toward the truth." (In Search of the Centaur: The Essay-Film.)
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (1)
    • ►  April (1)
  • ►  2011 (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  February (2)
  • ►  2010 (8)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2009 (15)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
  • ▼  2008 (42)
    • ▼  December (23)
      • The "Fatal Flaw" That First Sowed the Seed of Doubt
      • Why was I 44 years old before I looked to science ...
      • What Motivates a Mormon to "Do Good"?
      • "Lester, God told you to call!"
      • Early Christmas Present (Part 2)
      • An Early Christmas Present from Mickey
      • A Reprise for Ted Haggard
      • Bishop John Shelby Spong (retired) - a voice of re...
      • Good vs. Evil: Contrasting the Humanist View with ...
      • Utah Suicide Statistics - brace yourself
      • When Good Men Do Evil...and Call It Religion
      • Full-page Ad by Wayne Besen in Salt Lake Tribune
      • "A Day Without a Gay" National Day of Protest
      • Another quote that captures the spirit of this blog.
      • BYU In Total Denial
      • "The tyranny of religion is the ignorance it foste...
      • "Recording" History vs. "Shaping" History - you ch...
      • A Humanist - my new religion
      • Funny Or Die (an all-star cast)
      • A Quote from Carol Lynn Pearson
      • Colbert Report prior to Prop 8 vote
      • The Mormon Church and the Dehumanization of Non-Mo...
      • "I Heard Steve Young and His Wife Have Left The Ch...
    • ►  November (12)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (6)
Follow this blog